Half-Shire Historical Society
August 21, 2008
We took a two week break from our columns, but remained quite busy at Half-Shire. On Saturday August 9, we hosted the 24th annual reunion of Redfield students. Seventeen people attended ranging in ages from early 50s to mid 90s. A chicken and biscuit dinner was expertly prepared by Erma Schroeder and George Widrig. Redfield graduated students at their own school from 1928 until 1941, and kept their facility as a grammar school open until 1970. A one room school in Greenboro survived until the late 1950s.
On Saturday August 16, Half-Shire was host to a breakfast put on by the Oswego County Fair Association for the Oswego County ATV Club. The day had earlier been set as a summer meeting at Half-Shire by the sportsmen, and the Fair officers took the opportunity to thank them in an additional manner by serving up a hot breakfast. The Oswego County ATV Club has for three years controlled parking at the Fair, and is very much appreciated by all involved in the Fair for their dedication and efforts. President Steve Cronk deserves a large part of the credit for keeping this club so active.
During the weekend of August 16 & 17 workers from the weekend program of the Oswego County Jail spent a very productive 12 hours working on our lawns and gardens. Four workers did an amazing amount of weeding, trimming and mulching. The lawns look very good! Thanks to Sheriff Reuel Todd for keeping this great program in place!
On Saturday August 23rd the monthly lunch meeting of the Half-Shire Society will take place at Richland. A summer picnic style lunch is anticipated to be served. The agenda items for discussion include building work and the September annual meeting. There is no formal program other then research discussion.
On Tuesday August 26, Half-Shire will host the members of the Oswego County Infrastructure and Facilities and Economic Development and Planning Committees for an informal “between meeting” lunch. August has brought county government to Pulaski for the Legislature on the 14th as well as two jurisdictional committees on the 26th.
On August 4, Mary Lou (Woods) Dewey of Pulaski joined Richland Historian Shawn Doyle in placing a new veteran marker in front of the deteriorating stone of her ancestor, Thaddeus Waight formally of Massachusetts. Waight is buried in Richland’s Willis/South Richland Cemetery and has a notable record of service documented by his pension and other papers in possession of Half-Shire. Nearby to Waight (also spelled Waite) are the graves of John Erskine, Sr. and David Soule who we hope to have remarked in the coming years. A new stone for Elnathan Mason is also a stone’s throw away, making South Richland the resting place of four Revolutionary War vets.
Another descendant of both Thaddeus Waight and Elnathan Mason, Adam Wickert of Pulaski, has been volunteering his time at the Richland Historians Office digitally scanning photos for us. Wickert, a student at Pulaski Jr.-Sr.-High School is involved in the History Club (SHIP) and very interested in history. His work is greatly appreciated and significantly helpful to our organization!
Back in Richland, our Librarian Erma Schroeder has been spending a great deal of time copying material received from former President and founder Marie Parsons. Many of the files Marie donated will be shelved on “the back wall” and available for viewing soon thanks to Erma’s dedication and persistence. Recently we found Nancy Meeks joining her for a little joint work. Many far-flung researchers continue to visit us during our Friday hours, or just by chance when they find someone at the building during the week. Latest inquiries are from researchers seeking information on the Claflin, Filkins, Hilton and Aldrich families.
For more information contact Half-Shire at P.O. Box 73, 1100 County Rte. 48, Richland, NY 13144 or on the web at email@example.com or our new website at www.halfshire.com
1,578 total views, 6 views today