On Saturday March 26, the Historical Building will be open from 11am-3pm. Lunch will be served for members and friends at 12 noon. The regular monthly meeting will begin promptly at 1pm, followed by a program conducted by George Widrig. George is the author of the recent book “Mayhem, Mystery and More” which debuted last fall. He will field questions on the book, and also discuss his research on the Mellon family who were once prominent in Richland hamlet.Extra copies of the most recent Half-Shire Newsletter and the new Tug Hill Literary Review will be available at the door.
Work has commenced on the next issues of these society publications. Over 600 copies of each publication were distributed by mail two weeks ago. If you would like to be on our mailing list contact the staff at Halfshire@hotmail.com or c/o P.O. 73 Richland, New York 13144.
For those who plan on attending the lunch it is requested that they call President Shawn Doyle (298-3620) or drop a note by email at SPDinPUL@hotmail.com so we will have plenty of food available. Lunch will be as always, a “free will offering.” Our Kitchen staff, led by Margaret Sullivan of Parish, has planned an extra special Easter meal. We look forward to seeing everyone again now that the snows are disappearing.
Beginning this week our column will be posted on a web blog available at Syracuse.com under halfshire.org/. We are currently found in the Camden Queen Central News and the Salmon River News of northern Oswego County.
On March 12 & 13 work weekends were conducted at the Richland headquarters. Six workers from the Oswego County Probation program and one from the town of Richland court spent over 12 hours on various projects. We were able to remove the buckled flooring in the Snow Memorial Room (old southwest classroom) and await word from our inquiries to area contractors about floor replacement. Treasurer Mary Yerdon is seeking an electrician to do some work in this room, and the kitchen. Mary can be reached at 298-2585.The Society will be seeking bids on roof replacement for the front and back entry roofs. Each roof is of original 1926 construction and they have developed leaks that patching no longer secures. Contact either Mary Yerdon or Shawn Doyle at the above numbers to view the roofs and submit a proposal.
George Widrig has been busy with research on early writers of the Tug Hill region. We aim to have a variety of poems from past and present writers to place in the summer issue of the Literary Review. In his research, George discovered a wonderful poem on the Salmon River, written in the early 1820s by John Gardner Calkins Brainard (1796-1828) that ran in an 1897 Pulaski Democrat. As his name implies, Brainard was descended three families who settled Pulaski in the early 1800s. The writer left the area and moved to Connecticut where he became associate editor of the Connecticut Mirror. He died in 1828 at age 32. We are seeking more information on this writer, and others who have been inspired by Pulaski and other Tug Hill area locales. Writers and sketch artists can submit material to the Society at P.O. 73 Richland, NY 13144. The Summer issue of the Literary Review will be mailed in mid June. The Literary Review is a joint project of South Jefferson Historical Society and Half-Shire.
Thanks go out to Marie, Molly and Mary Yerdon along with Marie Lambie and Margaret Kastler for their assistance with the Newsletter assembly. Thanks again go out to Evelyn Davis, M.E. Griffith, and Mr. & Mrs.. Ellsworth Barber for their generous donations towards the new copier which worked remarkably in this first big project.Thanks also go out to Herb & Marie Yerdon for the donation of a ledger from the Burkett store in Redfield. Wayne and Jean Taplin also gave us an original photo of three teachers from Richland School, and an enlargement of the same. We are grateful for all of these kind donations!
Our sympathy goes out to our friend Mary Lou Dewey of Pulaski. Mary Lou’s husband Lester died several weeks ago after a short illness. We will miss seeing Les at the Hometown Diner and other area venues. Les and Mary Lou were two of the best customers of Seeley’s Restaurant until its closure in 1985. Seeley’s was operated by this writers grandmother Jane Ballou Seeley, and I grew up seeing Les & mary Lou often.
We also note the passing of Viola Greenfield Shuhart of Springbrook Apartments in Pulaski, and Leila Speck Jackson, formally of Osceola and Orwell. Viola attended many of our early programs at Springbrook, and was the mother of our member Beryl Greenfield. Leila was also an attendee of our events, and was sister to the well-know Osceolan Homer Speck. To all these families we offer our condolences.
423 total views, 2 views today